Visual Game Dev
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Translating game dev code talk to our languages

2 posters

Go down

Translating game dev code talk to our languages Empty Translating game dev code talk to our languages

Post by Admin Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:56 pm

I use Unity Answers, the Playmaker forums, and the Behavior Designer forums as my main learning resources these days-

I've found there's some things that are difficult to learn because the jargon we're using from Playmaker etc is different that the usual code stuff-

For example a coder told me to implement "hash tables" into my game to create an inventory system- Playmakers arraymaker add-on has hash tables so then I tried to search out info/examples for a hash table/inventory system- couldn't find much-

Long story shorter.... I learned that most game dev people call them "dictionaries" not "hash tables" So once I searched for "dictionaries" I found a ton of info-

Admin
Admin

https://visualgamedev.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Translating game dev code talk to our languages Empty Re: Translating game dev code talk to our languages

Post by Spooktergeist Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:29 pm

There should be a list or something where you have common game elements and a list of keywords for things that make it. Like in your example for inventory, then it would have terms like "dictionaries" and "hash tables" Sometimes I don't know what to ask for if I look for things.

Spooktergeist

Back to top Go down

Translating game dev code talk to our languages Empty Re: Translating game dev code talk to our languages

Post by Admin Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:48 pm

A list is a good idea- yeh same here I have the same issue of not knowing what question to ask but hey now you can try asking here as we speak the same language Smile

Admin
Admin

https://visualgamedev.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum